"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history." -Cardinal Francis George

Monday, September 19, 2011

I'm Back... I think.

Ahh. That was a nice break.

My plan was to stop doing this blog and facebook. Then I found out 2 people have been influenced by some of my links and comments and are strongly considering converting to the Catholic faith. One has just informed me he is basically ready to jump in the Tiber from his OPC Church! I am so glad that I had something to do with that. Nothing makes me happier than to see people come to the Church.

So I decided to come back half way. Even though facebook (contrary to all human reason) does in fact appear to be a good venue for evangelism, it is just not for me. I will leave it at that.

But I do like to blog sometimes. I will just try to be more deliberate about the whole thing so as to maintain my sanity.

5 comments:

  1. I am that OPC guy. Man, I am facing some major opposition! I sent you an article and now someone is really pushing me. It's good, though. I know the major arguments from both sides, but the devil is in the details. Sometimes we can get tripped up rhetorically, but if we stick with fundamentals, the truth will come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are back. The Internet needs more solid, Catholic bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stick to the fundamentals. Stick to authority. The person pushing you may well be better theologically trained/more knowledgeable than you and may trip you up. No problem. Use that against him by asking why you should listen to him rather than Doug Wilson/Mike Horton/Billy Graham/etc. (pick one with opposite beliefs of his)
    If he says Catholics don’t have the “gospel”, ask him why his opinion has authority and not the bishops in succession from the apostles at the council of Trent?
    Where does he get the authority to lead in the church? To lead your family? Or is he is self-appointed, with his ordination going back perhaps 450 years if he is lucky. Who put him in charge? Your and my Bishop, Archbishop John Nienstedt, has apostolic authority handed down from Christ Himself. Anyone else claiming that authority over you needs to “show ID”.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, I actually bookmarked and returned to your post "Letter to GSPCPCA" a couple of times to give me a bit of backbone to write my own letter of departure from my OPC-linked denomination. I am also heading over the Tiber.

    Best wishes from the far south-west.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Otepoti,
    It is hard as non-theologians to talk to these Reformed elders who are very knowledgeable, but congrats for doing it.

    And congrats on dipping into the Tiber. Anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask.

    Peace,

    David

    ReplyDelete