"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history." -Cardinal Francis George

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Evolution part trois

I was asked by my online acquaintance Brent what I mean by evolution, and that kind of information we can expect to get from a theory like evolution. My answer got long enough I thought I would post it on my blog so I can have a better record of the conversation. Here is my thinking at this point: OK, my idea of evolution is what I believe to be the broad cultural view of it. It is seen as the theory that explains how one species becomes another over long periods of time, by very gradual changes, by natural selection of fitter characteristics over less fit ones. Darwin’s book is called on the Origin of the Species, and that certainly is what evolution attempts to explain; how different species originated from a common ancestor. On the face of it, this could be true. I mean I can imagine in my mind little evolution factories in the cells that are "selecting" traits and making the gradual changes. I can picture the cell knowing that it needs to get this amphibian turned into a whale and it sets about getting it done over millions of years. And if that were the case, well then glory to God for an amazing design. But by its practitioners own admission, that is not what science has seen in the cell. What they have seen contradicts their theory, yet they still cling to it. What they see in the cell is not a blob as Darwin thought it was, but the complexity of a galaxy full of planets which are each full of cities which are each full of libraries which are each full of books which are each full of unique and wonderful literature. Next to each of those libraries are factories that all work together to maintain and repair the libraries and build more galaxies. What they see in the fossil record directly contradicts what Darwin said should be expected as far as transitional forms, yet they still cling to the theory as if it were the theory of gravity. If you have the time, this series of videos of Dr. David Berlinski is really interesting. (I love this guy!) I am no scientist that is for sure. But that does not mean I will swallow a theory that seems to have been disproven, (or at least that does not have the kind of evidence it seems it should by this point in history) just because scientist mostly agree it is true. ESPECIALLY when it seems to me they have non-scientific motives for holding the theory. Here is what I mean: I think the main reason evolution is rarely questioned even in the face of a lack of evidence is because of the alternative. Which for Godless mainstream scientists is NO alternative at all. I suspect they think that if the story of evolution is false, the only option is special, instantaneous creation. Now that may not be the case, and Berlinski says as much. There could be some yet undiscovered theory of how speciation happened. But evolution ain’t it from what I have seen. Now one might ask, "who cares" about evolution either way. Well, if my suspicion is right, and evolution, against the evidence against it, is being held out there as a theory for the express purpose of giving a further excuse for sin and unbelief ala Romans 1, then whether or not the theory itself is compatible with Christian theism it should be rejected as evil. Put another way: If it appears to me that this scientific theory is being believed for primarily pagan religious motives, namely to deny the Creator as it says in Romans 1, then although it can be argued that the theory is technically neutral as far as science goes (it does not necessarily imply Godless motives to believe it), it should nevertheless be resisted by Christians so as not to give scandal. For instance: if you live in a village where all the men go out and chop wood on Thursday evenings while singing “waltzing Matilda”, then hey that’s great. Chop away Christian. But then you discover that instead of using the wood for cooking like you are, the other men are using it for a bonfire for human sacrifice. I think it is clearly wrong to go out chopping with them on Thursdays in this case, and you might even want to sing a different tune when you go on Wednesdays. If a hundred years later they are merely pretending to chop the wood, and are incredulous that you can't see their stacks of wood piled all around, then you really should stop "chopping" wood with them. Things have obviously progressed to some sort of pagan religion or madness and you should run away. The more I think about this topic and examine the “proofs” for evolution, the more I become convinced that for the scientists that hold to it evolution has long since past the point of being what St. Paul is speaking of in Romans 1:
“For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools…”
Global warming has some similarities here. Most scientists may well believe in man-made global warming. But their godless reasons for doing so should make us want to steer clear of them. Their science has crossed over into religious belief. Evolution is atheistic religious belief, held to in opposition to good evidence for the falsity of the belief. A special creation is just impossible to the mind of modern man. So he clings to an ad hoc, improbable theory of evolution as the only “possible” explanation. Well, I am under no such delusion, and do not see why I should worship in their temple. If my fellow Catholics or Protestant brothers want to eat the meat sacrificed in their temple, so be it. You are probably not sinning, and I am not your judge. But I will point and laugh at you. And I will point out that you look absolutely absurd down on all fours eating the crumbs that fall from this decadent cultures table. I believe history will show your compromise to be needless at best, and damaging to the faith at worse. Have a blessed day on this Holy Thurday! I look forward to recieving the Lord at mass tonight when we remember the Last Supper. Peace, David Meyer

1 comment:

  1. David,

    I love Berlinski. If you ever get a chance to read one of his books, please do. He is highly entertaining. As I said in my previous comment to your previous post, I think there is a panoply of versions of evolution. The one you are describing might be called fundamentalist evolution.

    One thing we should note is that natural science, particularly empiricism isn't claiming to get at universals. As such, knowledge is always tentative and true/false is exchanged for best available theory. Einstein posited a static universe which implied that there was no creative beginning. It was a Catholic priest/scientist who put forward the 'big bang' as a theory for a dynamic universe.

    Further, there are many astrophysicists, biologists, and so on who are Christians who hold to a version of evolution that matches the empirical evidence we have. There are certainly fanatics who are motivated by religious like commitments but we should not be afraid of their 'sacrificial meal'. We do not eat what is sacrificed to their idols because there is a chance to get the meat before it gets that far.

    100 years from now what will science propose? If in fact God used an evolutionary process to create the world, then I would suspect that the evidence will mount for explanations that are even more salutary with the fact (not theory) that God created everything. The looming causal question will never get answered precisely because natural science cannot get to the answer; but metaphysics can.

    ReplyDelete